Saturday, March 21, 2009


Ah...Rosa Bianca Eggplant...Surely this must be one of the most beautiful vegetables around. It is nearly too pretty to eat. I can't wait to see its lovely purple blooms in my garden! More importantly, I can't wait to eat this mild flavored beauty in a dip called Baba Ganoush. And you thought eggplant was just for parmesan! I have been trying for several years to get a friend of my husband's to share his recipe with me, but alas, I am still waiting. After trying a number of different recipes, my family and I have settled on this one as our favorite. Baba Ganoush is easy to make, delicious, and so much healthier than that your mother's tired old ranch dip. You know, come to think of it there is really no reason I have to wait for Rosa Bianca to be ready in my garden to enjoy this dip. I should just head right over to the grocery and buy a fine organic eggplant today. One last thing... I did weasel this much out of my husband's friend....He cooks his eggplant on the grill for his Baba Ganoush which adds a nice smokiness to the flavor.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1 large eggplant
* 1 can chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
* 3 cloves garlic
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 3 tbsp tahini
* dash sea salt
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley (optional)

Preparation:
Slice eggplant in half, and roast in 400 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes, or until soft.

Allow to cool slightly, then scoop out inside of eggplant, leaving skin behind.

In a blender or food processor, combine eggplant and remaining ingredients, except oil and parsley, until smooth. Mixture will be somewhat thick. Slowly incorporate olive oil until well mixed. Mix in chopped parsley by hand. Serves eight.

Enjoy with veggies, pita, or as a sandwich spread. I like to spread some baba ghanoush in a flour tortilla and add lettuce, tomatoes and veggies for a sandwich wrap.

Nutrition Facts:
One serving provides approximately:
Calories: 304, Calories from Fat: 118
Total Fat: 13.1g, 20%, Saturated Fat: 1.7g, 8%
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 58mg, 2%
Total Carbohydrates: 37.8g, 13%
Dietary Fiber: 11.8g, 47%
Sugars: 7.3g
Protein: 11.9g
Vitamin A 3%, Vitamin C 14%, Calcium 9%, Iron 23%, Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Don't forget to order your U "Can" Garden Kit today which includes Rosa Bianca Eggplant seeds and 22 other great old garden favorites!

1 comment:

christina marie said...

i am soooo glad you have this recipe on here.. i will def be using it!