Friday, June 19, 2009

How does your garden grow?

Things are really coming along here in my little 5' x 10' raised bed garden. I am amazed at what I can grow in such a small space. The spinach and radishes are about done. The marigolds and nasturtium failed from the get go, but the squash and tomatoes are going crazy. We have been eating sugar snap peas and lettuce like crazy from the garden. The beans are flowering and the eggplant is holding its own.

I think this picture displays the magic of square foot gardening! radish, leeks, peas, beans carrots and baby beets all snuggled in close. Because every inch is planted weeds are nearly non existant at this point. I can weed this bed in 1 minute a day. No tilling or digging because beautiful loose organic soil was trucked in and dumped 1 foot high. When the radishes come out the carrots take over their place. The peas are shading the spinach for an extra week or two of sweet harvesting. And best of all my neighbors think I am a genius! Little do they know that anyone could do this with a tiny bit of planning and the right seeds.
Tomatoes and squash are duking it out and the basil has been divine! The peas which didnt require staking are sure happy that they got some support anyhow! And I am finding myself dreaming about vegetables.

No comments: